What I'm made of

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Do you know the feeling of music running through you? Like there are some songs that the guitar strums literally start to flow through your veins and you close your eyes and you can feel the singer's voice penetrate your body. Do you ever get that feeling? I get it All. The. Time. I think that's why I became a dancer. I had no other choice- some songs just force me to move and carve out the song with my body.

I don't think I've ever been the most talented dancer, a lot of people have higher kicks, can do more turns, have better technique. Plenty of people can do amazing things with their strength and control and have trained for years perfecting that. I am not one of those people.

But I don't think you'll find anyone who loves it the way I do. Movement and music are the fabric of my soul and I don't think I'll ever escape it. Sometimes I close my eyes and I can envision myself on a stage with the lights shining on my face and I start to dance in my humble little living room, letting all that I am come spewing out and when I'm done I am in tears without really knowing why.

I'm sure my neighbors think I'm Looney Tunes.

Anyway, this is the song that forced me to dance the way I've always done. Give it a listen-it's nothing spectacular, nothing you'd hear on the radio, nothing popular; but I think it was written just for me.



Listen to it really loud, and I bet you'll see what I mean.

1 comment: